Akimbo, an Internet video-on-demand service provider is no more. They’ve made it to TechCrunch’s dreaded Deadpool. It’s somewhat of a puzzling development, since Akimbo raised $56 million just three months ago. Akimbo had shifted their business model to a “white label” provider of Internet VOD. CenturyTel recently launched an Internet VOD product, powered by Akimbo. Akimbo was also featured in AT&T’s Homezone product. Akimbo’s demise gives Internet VOD somewhat of a blackeye. They originally started as a hardware provider, offering VOD set-top-boxes. They then shifted to a Internet only model, and their last iteration before death was a “white label” provider. Is there an Internet VOD model that works, because it looks like Akimbo tried them all?
Join the Conversation
Don’t Miss Any of Our Content
What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.
Your information will never be shared with any third party.
- Best Practices for Public-Private Partnerships
- OpenVault Broadband Insights (OVBI) Q420 Webinar
- Building Rural Networks with Fixed Wireless Network-as-a-Service (NaaS)
- Delivering Broadband in an Amazon and Netflix Dominated Culture: Are You up to the Challenge?
- Rural Telecommunications Benchmark Study 2020