Press Release

MADISON, Wis. (May 20, 2014)—TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces its broadband Internet project in central Wisconsin is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to businesses and nearly 1,900 area residents — nearly 500 more addresses than initially projected.

Near the end of January, TDS announced a portion of this project, around Cranmoor, was complete. Now, the entire project is finished and impacts customers in parts of six central Wisconsin counties, including: Marathon, Portage, Clark, Jackson, Wood, and Juneau. {http://www.tdstelecom.com/MediaRoom/StimulusFundingNewsDetail.aspx?id=d6d1aacb-7e1f-4b0e-926b-99ede907dbcf}

TDS installed nearly 38 miles of fiber optics cabling and 26 cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Central State Telephone Company, LLC. Customers interested in signing up for services should call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).

This is one of 44 projects that TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at about $5.1 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $1.3 million) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity. As a result of ARRA, TDS has already expanded access to a high-speed Internet connection to more than 28,000 households across the country.

For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.

Press Release

Join the Conversation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don’t Miss Any of Our Content

What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.

You have Successfully Subscribed!