Ottawa, Ontario – November 10, 2010 – Espial®, a leader in On-Demand TV solutions, announces today that Otelco Inc. has launched premium VOD services for its IPTV subscribers in Alabama using Espial MediaBase. Otelco operates ten incumbent telephone companies and provides competitive telephone services in six states, making it one of the top 25 largest local exchange carriers in the United States. Using Espial MediaBase and premium content from Comcast Media Center and iN DEMAND, Otelco is quickly attracting new subscribers and driving revenue for their IPTV service.
- Espial MediaBase is selected by Otelco to provide premium VOD services to its IPTV customers in Alabama,. Using Espial MediaBase Otelco is now providing pay-per-view and video-on-demand (VOD) services to its IPTV and cable users. Since the initial launch of the new services, they are averaging 3 VOD sessions per subscriber per month. This is expected to grow quickly as users become more familiar with the service.
- Otelco selected Espial MediaBase for its proven track record across dozens of global implementations, integration with Minerva Networks iTVManager and excellent cost to performance ratio on commercial-off-the-shelf hardware.
- To drive profitable VOD services, Otelco spent considerable time gaining an understanding VOD economics. They discovered one of the key elements of a successful VOD strategy is to source great content at reasonable price points. To implement their content strategy, they source VOD content from Comcast Media Center and pay-per-view content from iN DEMAND. This provides Otelco subscribers with an excellent range of content, at competitive prices with very early availability.
- Otelco is headquartered in Oneonta, Alabama and provides telephone services in Alabama, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire and West Virginia. The Company’s services include local and long distance telephone, network access, transport, digital high-speed data lines and dial-up Internet access, cable television and other telephone related services.
- Otelco has more than 100,000 voice and data access lines which are collectively referred to as access line equivalents, Otelco is among the top 25 largest local exchange carriers in the United States. Otelco operates ten incumbent telephone companies serving rural markets, or rural local exchange carriers. It also provides competitive retail and wholesale telephone services through several subsidiaries.