DALLAS – (Oct. 20, 2010) – MetroPCS Communications Inc. (NYSE: PCS) today introduced the first commercial 4G LTE services in Detroit, Mich., with monthly plans starting at $55, including all taxes and regulatory fees. Detroit consumers will enjoy 4G Web access along with unlimited voice and text services on the world’s first commercially available 4G LTE-enabled handset from Samsung Mobile, the Samsung Craft™.
Detroit is the third U.S. city where MetroPCS is offering commercial 4G LTE service, with additional major metropolitan areas to follow later this year and into early 2011. With a state-of-the-art 4G LTE network and an advanced entertainment handset with a brilliant AMOLED screen, MetroPCS’ predictable, flexible and affordable service plans provide a compelling value to consumers while meeting their growing demand to do more with video, social networking and higher speed Internet access.
“MetroPCS is taking Wireless for All® to the next level with unlimited, affordable LTE service,” said Roger D. Linquist, president, CEO and chairman of MetroPCS. “Expanding our 4G LTE network to Detroit marks a key milestone for the Company by bringing 4G mobile broadband services to area customers and consumers who want to experience more and who demand more value. We look forward to expanding 4G LTE coverage throughout Eastern and Western Michigan throughout 2011.”
MetroPCS offers monthly 4G LTE service plans for $55 and $60, which includes 4G Web access along with unlimited nationwide talk and text initially, on an unlimited basis. In addition, Detroit customers will now have access to new applications and features that take advantage of MetroPCS’ 4G LTE network, including:
- MetroSTUDIOSM, powered by RealNetworks, available on the $60 service plan, includes access to entertainment content that consumers demand, such as full-track downloads, ringtones and ring-back tones, as well as premium video content from NBC Universal, Black Entertainment Television (BET) and Univision, available on-demand and on-the-go from one easy-to-use application.
- A new social networking and instant messaging application which harnesses notifications, friends and content from Facebook, MySpace and Twitter social networks and AIM, MSN and Yahoo! IM clients into a single interface that consumers can access with one click.
- Upgraded MetroNavigator® feature with the addition of voice-activated GPS and turn-by-turn directions.
MetroPCS is initially offering the Samsung Craft in Detroit area stores and online for $299 plus tax, after $50 instant rebate, while supplies last. The Craft delivers a stunning visual experience with its 3.3 inch AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) screen, and comes with a 2GB MicroSD card pre-loaded with Paramount Pictures’ hit movie “Star Trek-The Future Begins.” The device also includes a combination touch screen, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, Samsung’s TouchWiz™ user interface to surf and text message, 3.2 megapixel camera with flash and camcorder and Wi-Fi capability.
“With the launch of Detroit’s first and only commercial 4G LTE service and the Samsung Craft, MetroPCS is giving Detroit customers the power to do more with the mobile Internet every day, when and where they need it,” said Glen Flowers, vice president and general manager of MetroPCS Michigan. “By offering premium 4G LTE service on a no-contract basis, Detroit residents will be able to seamlessly access social networks, find the best route to work, catch the latest hit TV shows, or download and share music, video and photos all from the palm of their hand.”
MetroPCS recently launched 4G LTE service in Las Vegas and Dallas-Fort Worth, and 4G LTE network rollouts are planned for later this year and early 2011 in the remaining MetroPCS U.S. markets, including Boston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Orlando, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Francisco and Tampa. MetroPCS plans to further expand 4G LTE coverage in 2011 along with the launch of additional devices to increase MetroPCS’ portfolio of feature phones, touch screens, smartphones and 4G handsets.
For more information, please visit:
- Details on rate plans and service features: www.metropcs.com/plans
- Press resources: www.metropcs.com/presscenter
- Follow MetroPCS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/metropcs
- Become a fan of MetroPCS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/metropcs
- View MetroPCS’ latest videos: www.YouTube.com/metropcs