June 16, 2014 — RIDGELAND, Miss.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–C Spire is continuing its push to stay ahead of competitors in the race to provide optimal mobile broadband services with its 4G+ approach, a network design that improves coverage, reliability and performance and gives consumers a better overall experience.
“For us, good enough is never good enough”
Key elements of C Spire’s 4G+ approach include:
- Accelerated deployment and use of ultra-high speed fiber optics to connect cell sites and regional voice and data switching centers. The company uses thousands of route miles of fiber optic cable, ensuring that voice and data traffic travel at the speed of light.
- Use of four-branch antenna diversity receiver technology at cell sites to optimize wireless signal strength.
- Advanced network edge caching to make popular Internet and video content download faster than ever before.
- Video optimization to ensure consumers have the best user experience, maximum quality and minimum delay.
Aggressive deployment of distributed antenna systems and wi-fi solutions to boost local coverage and signal strength.
“For us, good enough is never good enough,” said David Smith, vice president of Network Engineering for C Spire. “That’s why we’ve never been satisfied with a network that’s just like the rest. We expect more from ourselves and we’re inspired by some of the best customers in the world to keep our network a step ahead. So, while others are content to offer 4G service, we’ve engineered our network to deliver a powerful mobile broadband experience that is centered on our customers and their needs.”
Since 2012, C Spire has introduced 4G+ service in 96 Mississippi, Alabama and Florida markets covering 11,900 square miles, a population of 2.1 million people and 639 cell sites. With completion of this latest phase, 4G+ service is now available to six out of every 10 consumers and businesses in the region.
In the latest phase of its 4G+ rollout, service has been activated in 49 new Mississippi, Alabama and Florida markets covering 6,900 square miles, a population of 1.8 million people and 540 cell sites across the three states. The enhanced service provides consumers and businesses with wireless data speeds up to 10 times faster than previously available.
Smith said C Spire has introduced service in the following new markets:
- Alabama: cities of Mobile, Saraland, Daphne, Fairhope, Foley, Gulf Shores, Loxley, Orange Beach, Robertsdale, Semmes, Spanish Fort and Summerdale
- Florida: cities of Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Mary Esther
- East Mississippi: cities of Forest, Morton and Newton
- North Mississippi: cities of Grenada, Winona, Batesville, Courtland, Water Valley and Pope
- Northeast Mississippi: cities of Louisville and Kosciusko
- Northwest Mississippi: cities of Marks and Lambert
- Central Mississippi: city of Crystal Springs
- Mississippi Delta: cities of Charleston, Jonestown, Louise, Rolling Fork, Rosedale, Drew, Shaw, Sunflower and Ruleville
- South Mississippi: cities of Waynesboro, Bay Springs, Ellisville, Picayune, Poplaville and Sumrall
- Mississippi Gulf Coast: cities of Long Beach, Waveland, Bay St. Louis and Diamondhead
The company also has added valuable 4G+ capacity in other Mississippi markets, including Oxford, Cleveland, Columbus, Starkville, Vicksburg, Jackson, Madison, Clinton, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Pascagoula, Gulfport, Ocean Springs, Biloxi and Lucedale.
“4G+ helps us deliver on our commitment to provide a customer-inspired mobile broadband experience that allows them to do what they want to do when they need to do it in more places that matter to them – powered by a fiber optics network infrastructure that moves voice and data at the speed of light,” Smith said.
For more information about C Spire’s 4G+ network, go to www.cspire.com/4g±.