New Offering Helps Customers Make Sure They Aren’t Victims of Fraud
LITTLE ROCK, Ark., January 13, 2010 – Windstream Corp. (NASDAQ: WIN) is offering a solution to the nation’s No. 1 crime – identity theft. The new product, called Identity Theft Protection, is designed to keep customers informed of attempts to steal their personal information and credit identity to use without their knowledge.
A person’s identity is stolen every three seconds in ways as simple as eavesdropping and stealing mail to computer hacking, according to data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. A criminal is able to use this stolen information to open credit cards, apply for loans, rent an apartment or even apply for a mortgage. All of which potentially could cost the victim thousands of dollars and ruin his or her credit.
Identity Theft Protection from Windstream offers a variety of services aimed at shielding a customer’s personal information and confidential data including:
* A 10-year audit of a customer’s Social Security number to determine who is using it.
* Assist the customer in the process of receiving annual credit reports and in the placing of fraud alerts with all three major credit bureaus.
* Freezing, canceling or replacing such personal items as a driver’s license, credit and debit cards and insurance cards if they are stolen.
* Removal from pre-approved or pre-screened credit card or insurance offers.
* A dedicated 800 number for Windstream customers to call with questions or for assistance.
“With Identity Theft Protection, Windstream customers will have peace of mind knowing their personal information is protected and in the event of fraudulent activity will be alerted instantly,” said David Redmond, vice president of consumer marketing for Windstream. “With the advancement of technology and the ease of sharing critical personal information, Identity Theft Protection should be considered a must-have for consumers.”
Windstream has contracted with CreditGuardTM to provide Identity Theft Protection at a substantial discount to new or existing customers with accounts in good standing. Other identity theft products can cost more than $15 per month, but Identity Theft Protection from Windstream is currently $2.99 per month.
For more information on CreditGuardTM customers can call Windstream at 1-800-347-1991.