Press Release

TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces its broadband Internet project around Salem, Kentucky is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to businesses and more than 650 area residents—about 100 more households than projected in the application for funding.

In early April, TDS announced a portion of this project was complete. Now, the entire project is finished. TDS installed more than 30 miles of fiber optics cabling and nine cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Salem Telephone Company. Customers interested in signing up for service can call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).

This is one of 44 projects TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at nearly $2.6 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $650,000) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity. With the help of ARRA funding, TDS has already expanded access to a high-speed Internet connection to nearly 30,500 households across the country.

For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.

Press Release

Join the Conversation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don’t Miss Any of Our Content

What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.

You have Successfully Subscribed!