Press Release

October 10, 2013 — Stimulus-funded projects in Indiana, New Hampshire and Wisconsin generate access to high-speed Internet service for more than 1,000 customers.

Today, TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS®) announced completion of three more stimulus-funded projects. The projects, funded in part by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), make high-speed Internet service accessible to more than 1,100 households in parts of Indiana, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

The project in Indiana, around Camden, makes high-speed Internet service accessible to about 300 households. TDS installed nearly seven miles of fiber optics cabling and placed six cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Camden Telephone Company, Inc. exchange. TDS projected the cost at about $1.45 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (just over $360,000) to expand broadband further out.

Completion of the project around Salisbury, N.H. enables about 130 household’s access to high-speed Internet service. Fiber optics and three new cabinets were installed in this TDS exchange known as Kearsarge Telephone Company. TDS projected the cost at about $500,000. The RUS grant covered 75 percent and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (about $125,000) to expand broadband.

The project in Southeast Wisconsin, around Wind Lake and Waterford, makes high-speed Internet service accessible to nearly 700 households in the area—about 130 more households than TDS initially projected in its application. Here, TDS installed about 13 miles of fiber optics cabling and placed three cabinets throughout its Southeast Telephone Co. of Wisconsin, LLC exchange. TDS projected the cost at about $1.26 million. While the RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost, TDS invested 25 percent or just over $315,000.

Customers interested in signing up for services should call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).

These projects are among 44 that TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS has now completed five ARRA projects this year. Earlier this year, the company announced completion of its projects in Missouri and New York.

Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity to more than 20,000 customers.

For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.

Press Release

Join the Conversation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don’t Miss Any of Our Content

What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.

You have Successfully Subscribed!