T-Mobile announced an aggressive continuation of its 3G buildout, with 120 markets expected to be lit by late November. With 3G market additions in Sacramento, CA, Memphis, TN, and Tampa, FL, T-Mobile says it currently covers 92 markets. T-Mobile has some catching up to do, with their competitors having a significant 3G lead in markets and subscribers served. They have raised the stakes for themselves with the pending introduction of the Google co-branded G1 phone. Poor 3G coverage could prove to be disastrous for T-Mobile if word gets around that the G1 experience is lacking a credible 3G feel. That could drive lucrative 3G customers into the willing hands of AT&T and its iPhone.
Join the Conversation
Don’t Miss Any of Our Content
What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.
Your information will never be shared with any third party.
- Fiber Network Deployment: Plan Today to Fast-Track Tomorrow
- Unpacking the Historic NTIA IIJA Notice of Funding Opportunity
- Fiber Network Design: Thinking Beyond the Unserved Household
- Using GIS to Improve Your Business with Data and Analytics
- Fiber Economics: Considering the Entire Economic Equation
- Competitive Playbook