As a mobile services company, Sprint has more incentives than most to demonstrate what can be done with mobile-based enterprise communications. So in 2010 Sprint replaced 489 PBX systems deployed across all its locations, supporting 39,000 employees, with Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 to provide enterprise voice, instant messaging, presence, and conferencing (audio, video, and web) capabilities, along with integrated email and unified messaging capabilities.

About 80 percent of employees use headsets to place and manage calls and conferences through the Microsoft Lync 2010 client on the desktop. The other 20 percent use IP phones. Sprint removes 489 PBX switches

Sprint also plans to integrate its 30 Polycom video rooms with Lync Server for HD video conferencing. Participants can join video conferences in which up to 16 participants can appear on screen at the same time. Sprint also plans to retire its current audio conferencing service and use Lync as its only service.

Sprint has about 100 mobile zone locations that use Sprint mobile devices with 3G/4G capabilities. “The implementation of the Sprint Mobile Workforce has resulted in [U.S.]$30 million a year in net savings simply because we need less square footage,” says Woodrome. “So a reduction of 1.5 million square feet times an annual rent of around $20 per square foot equals $30 million.”

Advertisement

The new approach saves Sprint nearly $13 million annually, about $2.5 million a year in avoided phone system upgrades and another $6.7 million in recurring circuit costs.

Sprint also saves $4 million in conferencing costs annually.

IT Cost Savings

Benefit

Reduce local exchange carrier charges

$6,700,000

Reduce PBX maintenance costs

$2,500,000

Reduce audio conferencing

$4,000,000

Reduce electricity costs

$700,000

Total

$13,900,000

Join the Conversation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don’t Miss Any of Our Content

What’s happening with broadband and why is it important? Find out by subscribing to Telecompetitor’s newsletter today.

You have Successfully Subscribed!