Customers Can Expect New Integrated Home Entertainment Services
DENVER, July 21, 2009 — Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) and DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTV), today announced a 5-year extension to their existing strategic partnership allows Qwest to continue to offer DIRECTV services to residential customers. Financial terms of the arrangement were not disclosed.
The agreement extends a strategic alliance that started in October 2004. Since then, Qwest customers have enjoyed the full suite of DIRECTV products bundled with Qwest’s broadband and voice services.
Under the agreement, Qwest will provide an enhanced customer experience through streamlined customer support and the development of integrated products and services in partnership with DIRECTV.
In addition to the new agreement, Qwest and DIRECTV have launched a new suite of integrated services that enable consumers to maximize the value of their home entertainment experience through the dynamic combination of DIRECTV service and their Qwest High-Speed Internet connection. New integrated services include:
- Remote Recording: Customers won’t miss their favorite program because they forgot to hit record. DIRECTV’s DVR Scheduler from Qwest provides customers with the flexibility to record programs or order Video on Demand from any internet-enabled computer – anytime, anywhere via the Qwest High-Speed Internet portal.
- Integrated Calling: Customers with a qualifying Qwest bundle and a broadband-connected DVR can manage their Qwest home phone service from the television. Currently in beta, Qwest’s new Integrated Calling Features allow customers to play voice mail messages, see incoming Qwest-branded Caller ID alerts, keep track of incoming and outgoing calls, and even return calls with the touch of a button from their DIRECTV remote.
Key consumer benefits of the Qwest and DIRECTV partnership include:
- Content: DIRECTV offers more than 265 channels – including the most HD channels available anywhere – with 100 percent digital picture and sound, exclusive programming and is the undisputed leader in sports programming available with exclusive offerings like NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and NCAA® MEGA MARCH MADNESS®. With DIRECTV, Qwest customers can also continue to access thousands of titles from DIRECTV on Demand and begin enjoying their favorite movies and programs in seconds with Qwest’s fiber-optic fast Internet speeds.
- Bundling: Qwest offers customers bundle discounts for Qwest High-Speed Internet® and DIRECTV services, the convenience of one bill and personalized bundles designed to meet their specific communications and entertainment needs.
- Convenience: Qwest customers have one primary point of contact for customer service, installation and billing inquiries. Qwest maintains responsibility for marketing, and DIRECTV installs equipment and provides technical support.
- Integration and Innovation: The powerful combination of Qwest High-Speed Internet and DIRECTV provides opportunities for the companies to create and launch integrated features that differentiate the Qwest bundle from cable.
Neil E. Cox, Qwest Executive Vice President, Product and IT
“DIRECTV is a cornerstone of Qwest’s consumer video strategy. For Qwest customers interested in the best home entertainment, two brands are better than one. Our partnership with DIRECTV is built on integration and innovation, which gives us the ability to deliver an enhanced home entertainment experience for Qwest customers.”
David Olsen, DIRECTV Senior Vice President, Sales
“The agreement enables us to further evolve our successful relationship with Qwest by offering more ways for customers to take advantage of the integration of Qwest’s high-speed broadband and phone services with DIRECTV’s best-in-class video service. Qwest and DIRECTV will deliver even more value and entertainment options for consumers beyond the convenience of the bundle.”