Legacy tools like Google Earth or Esri ArcGIS are good for exploring broadband projects, but not suitable for managing fiber networks. They lack the functionality needed for effective planning, design, and operation. Relying on outdated and manual tools costs service providers in terms of time, money, and efficiency. They get overwhelmed by spreadsheets and workarounds, making it difficult to scale.
For context, we’ve seen some staggering stats about the current climate of fiber network management:
- 80% of service providers rely on manual data entry for at least some of their network records.
- 75% of service providers use spreadsheets to manage their fiber inventory.
- 50% of service providers lack real-time visibility into their network performance.
- Legacy fiber management processes can add up to 20% to the cost of network operations.
Purpose-Built Fiber Management Is Key
Leading network operators employ a fiber management system built for broadband. This can include:
- Network visualization on a map with element-level details (location, status, and capacity);
- Intuitive user interface for non-technical users to streamline adoption;
- Designing of circuits – including splicing fiber strands – and connecting them to OLT ports;
- The ability to troubleshoot issues, assess expansion feasibility, and manage resources like available ducts; and,
- Simplified workflows that help you automate tasks and gain insights for improved network performance.
Why a Fiber-Specific System of Record is Essential
Without a system of record (SoR), managing a fiber network is like running a business blind. It provides visibility and control, optimizes operations and revenue and more. Some of the key benefits include:
- Streamlined Operations: Automates tasks and workflows.
- Data-Driven Decisions: Accurate and real time network intelligence.
- Improved Collaboration: Access for all stakeholders with the same date.
- Regulatory Compliance: Maintain records to meet regulatory requirements.
- Operational Agility: Quickly respond to changes with real-time insights.
- Competitive Advantage: Deliver innovative services.
One-Stop Fiber Network Management Solution
To help operators thrive, VETRO FiberMap radically simplifies network management, eliminates the need for GIS expertise, and seamlessly integrates with your existing systems. With VETRO you can:
- Manage fiber routes and connections in one location. No spreadsheets or data switching!
- See your entire network, visualizing inventory and virtual circuits in the field, not just in tables.
- Easily connect to CRM, BSS/OSS, and work order systems for a holistic view of your operations.
- Visualize your network to dispatch technicians efficiently and identify unused capacity for growth.
VETRO FiberMap is the most comprehensive, secure, and reliable system of record, designed to empower service providers.
Take Control of Your Fiber Network
Don’t settle for a patchwork solution. VETRO FiberMap is the one-stop platform to manage fiber networks with confidence and ease. Contact us to learn how we help operators manage networks efficiently, optimize operations, and make informed decisions.
Will Mitchell, CEO and Co-Founder
Will has extensive expertise in GIS system design, deployment, and operations, along with a strong technical and business background. As the CEO of VETRO, he guides a diverse technical team in providing a revolutionary fiber management software platform. Will holds an MS degree in Geographic and Cartographic Science from George Mason University and a BS in Foreign Service from Georgetown University. His goal for VETRO is to establish it as the leading broadband network mapping platform globally, empowering network operators to upgrade the internet's infrastructure. He spearheads the creation of the digital hub for the physical internet.
This series features insight into important broadband industry issues from industry leaders.