October 11, 2017 — HANOVER, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Seeking to bridge the digital divide between rural and metropolitan areas, the Brazos Valley Council of Governments (BVCOG) has deployed a new private network with Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) and CenturyLink that is now live and providing services. Funded in part by the Healthcare Connect Fund, this private network connects hospitals, rural clinics and schools that provide healthcare services. Expected to be fully completed by summer 2019, the network will also support other government organizations and critical applications, including 911 emergency response, workforce development and public safety initiatives.
- Serving the region for 50 years, BVCOG represents seven counties in central Texas covering 5,109 square miles and serving more than 315,000 citizens. Previously, high-speed broadband availability in these counties was limited to city centers and only via satellite or wireless. Rural areas were left with access to lower speeds and more expensive services.
- Building this new private optical network, powered by Ciena’s 8700 Packetwave® platform and 3930 Service Delivery Switches, BVCOG can now rapidly turn up services with access to network speeds ranging to 10 Gb/s for economic development agencies, increased telemetry and diagnostics for healthcare organizations.
- Ciena is also providing BVCOG with its Specialist Services, including turnkey implementation and training, to quickly provision services. CenturyLink, a Diamond partner in Ciena’s BizConnect partner program, provided deployment services for this project.
- “We’ve seen across the country how improved broadband access has a direct correlation on quality of life. Leveraging the expertise of Ciena and CenturyLink, we are providing the latest medical services, learning applications and other best-of-breed services available to all areas we serve.”
– Michael Parks, Deputy Director, Brazos Valley Council of Governments
- “CenturyLink worked closely with our partner Ciena to deploy a robust network in Brazos Valley that delivers crucial networking needs to healthcare service providers, government groups and businesses so they can execute on their organization’s digital transformation initiatives and better serve area residents.”
– Terence Gleeson, vice president, strategic partner alliances, CenturyLink
- “Hospitals leveraging new telemetry and diagnostic services are just the tip of the iceberg of what’s to come with this enhanced network. Ciena’s packet optical technology combined with CenturyLink’s dedicated support proved to be the right combination to implement BVCOG’s network vision.”
– Kevin Sheehan, vice president, strategic sales and market development, Ciena