Facing an urgent need to meet customer demands for affordable and reliable voice and high-speed residential Internet services, BPS Telephone worked with Ciena® and LightRiver Technologies, a Ciena Diamond BizConnect channel partner, to upgrade its network using Ciena’s converged packet optical platforms. This deployment gives BPS the ability to support its existing TDM and SONET/ SDH traffic, while modernizing its network to offer new, high-speed Ethernet services.
- BPS Telephone (BPS) is an incumbent local exchange carrier (ILEC) serving three counties in Southeast Missouri. BPS has been serving the Missouri community since 1996 and plays an important role in regional connectivity and economic and social vitality. Modernization of the BPS network ensures that customers throughout the state will continue to receive world-class telecom services.
- Ciena’s 6200 Packet-Optical Platform delivers BPS the flexibility to modernize its network at its own pace, increasing the capacity of existing services today and laying the groundwork for high-performance Ethernet services in the future. The small, scalable form-factor and attractive economics of the 6200 gives operators with multi-service bandwidth requirements a flexible solution to meet customer needs.
- LightRiver, an integrator of next generation transport solutions for mission-critical networks provided a network design and turnkey implementation package, project management and technical resources.
- “For almost 20 years, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to our customers by making major improvements in the quality and reliability of our service to keep up with the times. As demands for connectivity grow to support both our region’s economy and personal day-to-day life, we sought out a solution that would provide long-term network viability without disrupting current service for our customers. It became clear that the Ciena 6200 platform was just what we needed – it enables a flexible architecture that can scale and grow with our customer’s demands, while continuing our two-decade tradition of providing Missouri residents the services they need to remain competitive across this increasing digitalized world.” – David Carson, Assistant General Manager, BPS
- “We assist regional telecom providers, such as BPS Telephone, in effectively transitioning overburdened legacy networks into robust, cost-effective, network infrastructures that can handle the influx of today and tomorrow’s bandwidth demands. Through our strong partnership with LightRiver, we’re providing BPS a seamless, stress-free deployment using our leading packet-optical portfolio to support both existing and emerging services.” – Jason Phipps, General Manager and Vice President, North American Field Operations, Ciena
- “It is vital to LightRiver that we provide an atmosphere of applied innovation, while maintaining our commitment to carrier grade quality and processes as our clients, such as BPS, evolve their services and businesses in our ever changing world. With our next generation network focus and the 6200 Packet-Optical Platform from Ciena, we were able to again deliver on every promise for BPS and their customers.” – Michael Jonas, President, Global Sales & Marketing, LightRiver Technologies