January 28, 2015 — SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), an Amazon.com company (NASDAQ:AMZN), today announced Amazon WorkMail, a secure, managed business email and calendaring service in the cloud. Amazon WorkMail enables users to send and receive email, manage contacts, share calendars, and book resources using the same email applications they use today (Microsoft Outlook, their Web browser, or their native iOS and Android email applications) without buying and managing hardware or licensing expensive and complex email server software. Amazon WorkMail integrates with existing corporate directories, and has the security features enterprises need to control and protect their data. In short order, customers can quickly begin provisioning Amazon WorkMail accounts, and pay only for the mailboxes they create with simple, monthly pricing. For more information about Amazon WorkMail, visit: http://aws.amazon.com/workmail.
Today, businesses face a difficult choice when it comes to email. Hosting email on-premises requires expensive hardware, complex software licensing, and ongoing maintenance work. Existing cloud email services may help with some of these problems, but they either don’t offer the security features businesses require (like strong encryption key management and full control over data location), don’t integrate with existing corporate directories, or don’t support popular Microsoft Outlook features like shared calendaring. Now, Amazon WorkMail delivers the simplicity and on-demand access of a managed cloud service that works with popular email clients and also has the security controls enterprises need. Amazon WorkMail eliminates the need for customers to purchase and license email servers and handle the ongoing patching, back-up, and upgrades involved in maintaining these systems. It is fully compatible with Microsoft Outlook, and customers can quickly integrate Amazon WorkMail with their existing corporate directory, choose encryption keys, select the location where they want their data to reside, and pay only for the mailboxes they create.
“Customers have repeatedly asked us for a business email and calendaring service that is more cost-effective and simpler to manage than their on-premises solution, more secure than the cloud-based offerings available today, and that is backed by the same best-in-class infrastructure platform on which they’re reliably running so many of their current (and future) workloads,” said Peter De Santis, Vice President, AWS Compute Services. “We built Amazon WorkMail to address these requests and to help businesses achieve agility and cost savings by letting AWS manage the non-differentiated heavy lifting involved in corporate email and calendaring.”
Amazon WorkMail delivers the following benefits to IT administrators:
- Reduced complexity and cost: With Amazon WorkMail, there is no need to buy servers, manage complicated software and the associated licenses, or deal with upgrades, patches, and back-up systems. Customers simply pay for the mailboxes they create.
- Security and privacy controls: Unlike other cloud-based email services, Amazon WorkMail allows customers to retain full control over the location of their data by choosing the AWS Region where their data is stored. All data in transit is encrypted using industry-standard SSL, and Amazon WorkMail is integrated with the AWS Key Management Service so that customers control their own encryption keys. Amazon WorkMail enforces security policies that businesses specify for users’ mobile devices via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol. Businesses can require device encryption, require that devices lock, specify requirements for device password strength, and wipe devices remotely using the AWS Management Console.
- Corporate directory integration: Administrators can integrate Amazon WorkMail with their existing Microsoft Active Directory so that users can access their mailboxes with their existing corporate credentials. Amazon WorkMail includes a migration tool that administrators can use to migrate mailboxes from on-premises email servers to Amazon WorkMail. After migration, users’ Microsoft Outlook and mobile email clients can automatically connect to Amazon WorkMail using Microsoft Outlook’s Autodiscover feature.
Amazon WorkMail delivers the following benefits to users:
- Microsoft Active Directory compatibility: Microsoft Outlook users sign into Amazon WorkMail through their Microsoft Outlook email client using their existing corporate credentials.
- Access from any device: For desktop users, Amazon WorkMail works with Microsoft Outlook or can be accessed through a feature-rich Web client on the most popular browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Additionally, Amazon WorkMail works with any mobile device that supports the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol, including iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, Fire Phone, Android, and Windows Phone.
- Integration with Amazon WorkDocs (formerly Amazon Zocalo): Users of the Amazon WorkMail Web client can share and collaborate on documents using Amazon WorkDocs from within Amazon WorkMail.