As telecom carriers evolve, Carrier Evolution tracks the important developments in telecom and broadband which drive that evolution, including IP voice, unified communications, collaboration and consumer applications. Carrier Evolution offers original and curated content from external sources.
Carrier Evolution Feed
- Meet the Phantom Network for NFV October 24, 2014
A new deployment and network verification model is about to emerge thanks to NFV, and it’s one that could alter the timeline of virtualization.
- In win for broadcasters, court shuts down Aereo’s live TV featureOctober 23, 2014Aereo on an iPad. Casey Johnston A New York federal judge has sided with a group of major broadcasters—including Twentieth Century Fox and the Public Broadcasting System—and shut down TV-over-the-Inte …
- T-Mobile: Our network has trouble with building walls and long distancesOctober 23, 2014T-Mobile’s network won’t reach into “your cave,” so you’ll need some Wi-Fi. T-Mobile T-Mobile US is really looking forward to next year’s spectrum auction. Today, it doesn’t have enough low-band spect …
- Comcast lost 81,000 video customers in Q3, “the best result in 7 years”October 23, 2014Comcast reported its third quarter earnings today with positive results—and even the bad news was good. “Video customer net losses declined to 81,000, the best third quarter result in seven years,” th …
- EarthLink to Use Bandwidth's E911 NetworkOctober 23, 2014
Earthlink will use Bandwidth’s national emergency service network to manage the 911 routing for its business and residential broadband customers.
- Will Mobile Operators Lose $14 Billion in 2014 Revenue to OTT?October 23, 2014source: TeleGeography Mobile service providers will lose some $14 billion in revenue to over the top alternatives in 2014, according to Juniper Research. about 26 percent more lost revenue than in 201 …
- Roku Raises $25M, But for What?October 23, 2014
Roku has raised another $25 million in private equity funds, but how will it use the money in the increasingly competitive media streaming market?
- AT&T: Merger Review Halt Won't Hurt UsOctober 23, 2014
Despite the FCC stopping the clock on review, AT&T says it’s still confident that the Commission will approve its DirecTV buyout in the first half of 2015.
- Verizon, Comcast Show 4% Revenue Growth in 3Q 2014; AT&T 2.5%October 23, 2014In a quarter with a lot of moving parts (shift in the way AT&T accounts for device sales, Leap Wireless and Alltel revenue and costs), AT&T reported third quarter 2014 revenues up 2.5 percent versus t …
- Verizon Crafting OTT Business ModelsOctober 23, 2014
As HBO and CBS move ahead with their a la carte plans, Verizon is working with content providers to hammer out a business model for its planned OTT service.
- In win for broadcasters, court shuts down Aereo’s live TV feature