As telecom carriers evolve, Carrier Evolution tracks the important developments in telecom and broadband which drive that evolution, including IP voice, unified communications, collaboration and consumer applications. Carrier Evolution offers original and curated content from external sources.
Carrier Evolution Feed
- Verizon will start restricting LTE speeds for its heaviest unlimited-plan customers July 25, 2014Verizon’s 4G networks soon will start favoring customers who pay for mobile data by the gigabyte over customers who draw deeply from Verizon’s unlimited plans. The new policies will only apply when th …
- Hotels Frequently Deliver Wi-Fi at 2 Mbps to 5 MbpsJuly 25, 2014As much as people complain about the quality, persistence and speed of their at-home Internet connections, hotel Wi-Fi is likely to be a bigger problem for anybody who uses hotel Wi-Fi frequently. It …
- FCC gets its chance to overturn state limits on broadband competitionJuly 24, 2014FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has been saying he’ll use the agency’s authority to overturn state laws that limit municipal broadband networks, and now he has a chance to make good on that promise. EPB, a c …
- Alabama Cable Operator Picks Arris CCAP PlatformJuly 24, 2014
Arris’s E6000 Converged Edge Router (CER) will power enhanced voice, video, and data experiences.
- HP Looks to Conquer Carriers With NFVJuly 24, 2014
The company already servers carrier IT departments, but hopes network functions virtualization can drive onto carrier networks.
- Title II is the only path to net neutrality. Here’s why almost nobody thinks the FCC will take itJuly 24, 2014The entire debate over what to do about big broadband companies boils down to one phrase: Title II, which is the FCC’s only source of real power. Here’s an explanation of what it is and why insiders t …
- Facebook: 30% of Users Are Mobile-OnlyJuly 24, 2014
Almost a third of users access Facebook exclusively via mobile devices, while mobile ads now generate 62% of ad revenues, compared with zero two years ago.
- AT&T: Capex Freeze? What Capex Freeze?July 24, 2014
AT&T spends $6 billion on expanding its network in the second quarter.
- To TDS, TV Is a Gigabit Must-HaveJuly 23, 2014
TDS Telecom turns up its second gigabit market, emphasizing its IPTV offering as a critical part of the package.
- AT&T’s Q2: Hello, new smartphone subscribers; Goodbye, Cricket prepaid customersJuly 23, 2014AT&T set records when it came to attracting new and keeping old smartphone subscribers, but its prepaid business witnessed at mass exodus. After AT&T’s acquisition of Leap, Cricket customers are findi …
- Hotels Frequently Deliver Wi-Fi at 2 Mbps to 5 Mbps