PHILADELPHIA, PA – Feb. 7, 2013 — To address growing security threats to consumers’ mobile devices, today Comcast announced it has launched Constant Guard Mobile, an app that can be downloaded onto smartphones and tablets to help prevent online threats. Constant Guard Mobile helps to protect consumers from phishing attempts, identity theft and connecting to fraudulent Websites and is available to Xfinity Internet customers for no additional charge.
Mobile devices have increasingly become a primary way people access the Internet. To complete financial transactions like shopping and banking, the need for mobile security protection has never been greater. The frequency of mobile threats doubled between 2010 and 2011, according to Symantec, a global leader in security solutions, and 35 percent of online adults worldwide have either lost or had their mobile device stolen, thereby exposing them to identity and data theft.
“Cybercrime on mobile devices is a growing trend,” said Susan Jin Davis, Vice President of Strategic Services for Comcast Cable, “and we’re the first Internet service provider in the country to introduce online safety and security software to help protect our customers’ tablets and smartphones from cyber criminals. With Constant Guard, our goal is to make individuals and entire families safer online no matter what type of device they may be using.”
Constant Guard Mobile is an app that provides customers with a secure way to login to their banking, shopping, email and social networking accounts. The app also provides Constant Guard Safe Search, which proactively warns customers if a Website is considered risky, or unsafe, and could potentially be a source of malware. Constant Guard Mobile is currently available to Xfinity Internet customers and can be downloaded to iOS devices from the Apple iTunes Store. An Android version of the app is planned to launch in the coming months.
Key features include:
- Secure Browsing: Proactively ensures a direct connection to banks and shopping sites to help protect against phishing attempts and identity loss.
- Secure Banking & Shopping: Automatically and securely fills in login information for bank, email, shopping and social networking accounts to help prevent financial fraud.
- Constant Guard Safe Search: Proactively provides safety ratings for search results to help identify dangerous and malicious Websites.
- Safe Access to Accounts: Automatically comes preloaded with Xfinity email, and provides the ability to add financial and non-financial accounts for quick and safe access.
- Secure eCart Checkout: Automatically completes payment authorization forms at checkout which eliminates the need to store credit card information on shopping sites.
- Direct Link to Constant Guard for PC/Laptop: Easily syncs financial, email or social networking accounts setup in the full Constant Guard version for PC/laptop with the Constant Guard Mobile app. Also offers app add-ons exclusively for Xfinity Internet customers, including DeleteMe, a privacy service that searches the Web for personal information and deletes if from the host site.
Comcast is also working to develop a version of the app that includes virus protection for Xfinity Internet customers who are interested in having additional layers of security for their mobile devices.
In addition, Comcast has enhanced the desktop version of Constant Guard by adding technology that helps to prevent an emerging cyber crime called screen logging which can unknowingly use a customer’s webcam to take pictures of their computer screen that may contain private data.